Pages

Sunday, April 22, 2012

Doodle Tappy




Before I get too far into this post, let me ask my husband why on earth he gave this dish the name "Doodle Tappy." I am going to type as he answers me.


Me: "So why is it called Doodle Tappy?"
Michael: "I don't know. [pause] I have no idea. [longer pause] Something about macaroni, riding on a pony."
Me: "What do you mean?"
Michael: "I don't know. Yankee Doodle went to town riding on a pony, stuck a feather in his hat and called it macaroni."
[pause]
Me: "So, the Doodle comes from 'Yankee Doodle.' Where does the Tappy come from?"
Michael: "I don't know."


Well, there you have it folks.


Now, let me share this simple, quick "recipe" that has become a scrumptious staple around our home. I use the term "recipe" loosely. Foodies: feel free to wildly adapt these guidelines to your taste. Everyone else: just follow the pictures fairly closely. :-)



Here we go!


Boil about 10 ounces of your favorite shape of pasta following the directions on the box.


Crank the burner as high as it goes. Brown ground turkey (2 pounds), salt (about 2 teaspoons), and fresh ground pepper (about 1/2 teaspoon) breaking up the turkey as you go. It's done when there's almost no more pink.


Add about half a chopped onion, about two cups of chopped tomatoes, and about two cups of frozen veggies. I did corn and peas. Stir up the pot.


Put the cooked pasta on top followed by about two cups of grated cheddar cheese. I like extra sharp cheddar cheese.


Stir it all up again.


Heat it all up on high stirring once in a while. When you see simmering juices in the pan, turn the heat down to medium and let it simmer for about ten minutes stirring it a couple of times.




Then, eat!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...