Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

I'm now a farmer

The ultimate goal
The best part about my new apartment is the strip of dirt out back. The moment Michael and I saw it, we knew we would garden the life out of it. And I'm not talking about a dainty flower garden. We are going to turn that 3'x10' strip of dirt into a food producing machine!


Being a first time gardener (and a busy lady), it took several weeks to create our game plan. What do you do to the soil? What plants grow fastest? What plants can survive the long, harsh Los Angeles winter? (answer: everything but tomatoes) 


Last Saturday, we broke ground. Our gardening project is officially underway! Here are two pictures:
Our lovely dirt undergoing preparation for sowing seeds.
Our soil is fluffy, rich, and ROCKY!
We've already removed five Trader Joe's bags worth of rocks.
So far, it is a lot of work. But, I look forward to the day that I enjoy a fresh salad of lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, peas, and beets picked fresh from my little yard. And perhaps I will have an abundance to share with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...