Pages

Saturday, June 22, 2013

Getting Rid of Stuff

On Monday evening, my husband wheeled our recycling barrel crammed full of boxes and papers to the curb. On Tuesday, we overfilled it again for next week's pickup. We still have enough paper goods to fill it yet again.

On Wednesday, I dropped off four large boxes and one large trash bag of our stuff at Goodwill.

Yesterday and today, my husband raked in $30 by selling a book online and cds at a used music store.

I've always found satisfaction in keeping my possessions trimmed down, so when I recently found a $1 ebook on minimalism, I dropped the dollar, devoured it, and felt more inspired than ever to get rid of clutter. Michael and I have gone on a whirlwind rampage against our junk, ruthlessly getting rid of things that we don't use.


Here are two of the many tips and pointers from the ebook that I found most inspiring:

  • When I've decluttered in the past, I often tackle a closet, drawer, shelf, or room with the mindset of removing what I don't want to keep. The author of the ebook had the tip of removing everything from the space you are tackling and putting back only the things you want. Catch the subtle frame of mind difference? You end up getting rid of more. And getting rid of more is usually a good thing.
  • Declutter your inbox. Over the last few years, I've subscribed to all sorts of newsletters, ads, etc. so that every morning, I delete at least a dozen junk emails without ever reading them. Over the past couple of weeks, every time one of those emails comes in, I immediately unsubscribe. Now every morning, I open my inbox to see just a few emails that bear relevant information.
Isn't it ironic how our culture tells us so often that we need more things to feel good and yet owning more things just makes our lives more complicated? With every few items I throw away, give away, or sell, I feel freer and lighter. I love getting rid of stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...