Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Watermelon Smoothie

Since it was only 15 cents per pound, I bought a gigantic watermelon for a little Memorial Day barbecue we had with a few friends. One of the guests arrived with half of a gigantic watermelon. Another guest walked in the door lamenting that she had forgotten the watermelon she had planned to bring at home. I told her it was ok. Needless to say, there was way too much watermelon that day.

Today I decided to try to make a considerable dent in our leftover surplus by creating a watermelon smoothie before it all turned sour. (I guess I absorbed the grade school geography lesson on the four cardinal directions: "Never Eat Sour Watermelon.") I threw some watermelon, mint, spinach, and sugar in a blender and this is what came out:


Ok, so I tried my hardest with the sprig of mint in the glass and the mint and watermelon background, but it still doesn't look that tasty. Whenever you put spinach in a smoothie, the whole drink turns brown. So you'll just have to take me at my word: The mint/spinach/watermelon trio is very unique and tasty. 


If you are brave enough to try this summery beverage, blend:

  • 4 cups of watermelon
  • 1 cup of spinach leaves de-stemmed
  • three mint leaves
  • 1 teaspoon of sugar (though if your watermelon is sweet, this is unnecessary)

Here are the proportions in picture form for the visual learners:


I decided to take a picture of my smoothie without pretending to be a Martha Stewart Living food photographer and this is what resulted:
This actually looks worse than the smoothie looked in real life, so don't be deterred. But, isn't it amazing what flash, indoor lighting, bad angles, and bad backgrounds will do to a picture? But, I digress. Go buy a gigantic watermelon and make yummy smoothies!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...