Pages

Monday, November 23, 2015

Confession

I first prayed this prayer a couple of years ago. I stumbled upon it again today and, as I pray the words yet again, I find them so appropriate and so refocusing for these times.

~

You asked for my hands that you could use them for your purpose.
I gave them for a moment and then withdrew for the work was hard.

You asked for my mouth to speak against injustice.
I gave you a whisper that I might not be accused.

You asked for my eyes to see the pain of poverty.
I closed them for I did not want to know.

You asked for my life that you might work through me.
I gave you a fractional part that I might not get involved.

God, forgive me for calculated efforts to serve you only when it is convenient to do so, only in places where it is safe to do so.

Creator God, forgive me, renew me, and send me out as a usable instrument, that I may take seriously the meaning of Your Cross.

~

Now try reading them again, but this time as a prayer.

(Taken from the book of Christian art, images, poetry, and quotes called Imaging the Word.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...