Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

My Husband is Trying to Grow a Pineapple

I firmly that believe that everyone is weird. You just have to get to know individuals to unearth their quirks. And, to me, it's people's wacky sides that make them so interesting and fun to know!


My husband is no exception. (And I love it!)


It all started innocently enough with a few tomato plants, a bed of Chinese broccoli, a mushroom kit. Now, the gardening going on at home has reached some new level of absurdity considering how little experience and space we have.


Our little strip of dirt that's three feet deep and two bedrooms wide now boasts the following plants in various stages of growth: parsley, basil, strawberries, five types of tomatoes, carrots, red bell peppers, serrano peppers, thai peppers, a hydranga, some other flowers, squash, two types of lettuce, kale, chard, arugula, bok choy, cilantro, celery, spinach, snap peas, three types of beans, tomatillos, artichokes, red cabbage, rosemary, a couple of succulents, and beets. I'm probably missing something. Oh yes, the onion flower. An old onion started sprouting, so we stuck it in the ground and after producing many green onion-like shoots, it is now a three foot tall purple flower with a thick green oniony stem.


The seeds from within the pits from within the apricots that I bought this weekend are now in jars filled with dirt in our fridge to fake winter like conditions to force them to sprout. So, I guess Michael's officially growing an apricot tree too.


We also have red bell pepper plants growing thanks to my husband taking the seeds from red bell peppers bought from the store, drying them on a plate in the sun, and planting them a few weeks (months?) later.


And even with all that going on, I think this new development takes the cake when it comes to absurdity: Michael is trying to grow a pineapple. I fully endorse this event or product.


Here's the original pineapple.




Removing the top:




Letting it dry out in the backyard. (Mind you, this is following instructions from the blog of some man who has successfully grown pineapples in the continental US.)

The top sitting in water in a jar on top of our fridge. The goal is root production. Notice the water changing schedule, written in dry erase marker, with a reminder for me to change it while he's out of town this week.

An old yogurt container filled with proper pineapple growing soil waiting to receive our pineapple plant.


Assuming all goes as planned, it is going to take two to three years for our plant to produce a single pineapple. I'm not holding my breath.

1 comment:

  1. wow! you guys are ambitious gardeners...you'll have to let me know how the pineapple comes along. that's so cool! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...